Friday, September 11, 2009

Aftermath

So to report on the DOCS visit. It was interesting. Lots of questions & information, leaving us with more things to think about.

The only answer we gave that was received with a small amount of negativity was that I would, after 4 or 5 months, have to go back to work for 3 days a week. Apparently they really don't like you to work more then 2 days, or for the child to be away from a parent for more than 2 days. But, I know that this won't be a major issue. Honestly if they knock us back for this reason alone, that would be crazy. I think they have to state what they see as the ideal situation & then they'll work with you to get as close to that as possible. Obviously I would love not to have to go back to work, but we have to be practical & do stuff like PAY THE MORTGAGE!

It was a 2 hour visit. We covered topics such as our infertility & how we have dealt with that (counselling), what age child we would like (under 2), whether we would do a short term placement (no), whether we would take siblings (maybe), whether we would take a special needs child (no), what we would do if the child was OK when it came to us but had issues in the future (deal with it as it comes, educate ourselves - would not send child back) and questions about the people in our lives.

We asked about medical records & medical care, travel, visitation with natural parents & siblings, the training course & a bunch of other stuff that came up.

She did a basic check of our place, seeing if there were any obvious dangers. The only thing we need to do - which we are anyway - is get some cupboard doors for the 2nd bedroom. The other thing we want to do is put some catmax catmesh up on our balcony so Supercat & Pyewackett can go outside without supervision, also the cat litter can go out there too.

The other thing we spoke about was how the process is very long, as I said previously I expected things to slow down. She thinks that after the course ends (27/09) that we could be waiting until next year for the next step of assessment to start. They are very understaffed. So we'll just wait.

Tonight we check into The Swissotel for our 2 night stay. I can't wait. Fondue for dinner tonight, buffet breakfasts, a visit to the Pandora shop & Avenue Q tickets for Saturday night, all leading up to day 1 of our course on Sunday.

Also I requested Hostage in a Pie & a Lemon Meringue birthday cake for Sunday night - I hope mum heard me!

2 comments:

Janna said...

Sounds like it went really well! Good to hear. I don't think I've ever had fondue, but I'd like to (especially the cheese fondue, mmmmmmm, cheese). I hope you enjoy your birthday weekend, I wish I could be there to celebrate with you. One last thing, Hostage in a Pie? What the heck is that?

Vicki said...

Rice & Tuna Pie - was once misheard as Hostage in a Pie - so know we all call it that.